Editing Mountains in LrC

Hi there!

I am struggling to make the details in the mountain pop out. Any tips?

Also, any tips on how to lighten the photo, so the image on my computer matches the print?

Hi Camille! Gorgeous photo! I love it. I would brighten the shadows a little because most papers will eat up those deep shadows. I would also send it through the tone curve to bring out extra detail in the mountain. Try adding a few points on the curve to keep the blacks deep but bring up the shadows/midtones and keep the highlights where they’re at. Hope it helps! Lovely shot.

2 Likes

Hi, Camille. Your issue with the printer is a VERY common complaint. I have been very successful at the IPC using the following method. It seems a bit tedious, but when you have done it once, it is very easy.

CREATING A CUSTOM PRINTER LUMINANCE PROFILE

• Determine the type of paper you are going to use, (ie glossy, satin/luster/matte) and load the correct paper profile into LR and create a User Template.
  • Color calibrate your monitor (X-Rite, Spyder) and be sure to measure the monitor brightness which is measured in candela/m2. These numbers vary from computer to computer. I keep mine set at 120 candela/m2 because this is the setting that is used to evaluate digital prints at the International Photographic Competition.
  • Download an evaluation print. Bill Atkinson’s is nice: https://tinyurl.com/s5j6gqa The evaluation print has all of the colors and tones that you will ever need.
  • Print a copy of the evaluation print and bring it up to your monitor.
  • The print copy will probably be too dark. You then need to reduce the luminance level of your monitor until the monitor and print copy look identical. This may take several tries. Using the color calibration software, determine what the luminance level is and write it down for future reference. In my case, I have to reduce the luminance level from 120 candela/m2 to 65 candela/m2 so that my monitor looks exactly like my print
  • Go to Develop Module in LR and enable soft proofing. Create a proof copy.
  • Make the appropriate adjustments in LR so that the image looks as you want it on the print. Since you have essentially calibrated the luminance level of the monitor with the printer, what you see on the monitor is what the print will look like.
  • Be sure to save the proof copy. I add a color label to it and have a smart collection entitled “Proof Copies” which enables me to find them again if I need them.
  • Be sure to set your monitor back to your original setting. You will be surprised at how different the Original copy and the Proof copy look.