Good Lens for Wildlife Photography

What would be a good lens for wildlife photography? I have a friend who just got the Tamron 150-600 G2 lens. I have a Canon 100-400 4.5 that I got used with the idea of using it for wildlife photography. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Richard,
I’ve used the Canon 100-400 for several years for action and wildlife photography. It is a very capable lens, and I’m satisfied with the results. Used with a 1.4x extender, it becomes a 560mm lens. My ultimate wildlife photography lens would be Canon’s 800 mm / 5.6, but that is a big investment.
My advice is to refine and develop your technique to get the most you can out of the lens. Once you no longer obtain desired results, then consider upgrading equipment. I’ve discovered one of the keys to wildlife photography is patience and stillness: wait quietly at the right place and allow the birds and beasts to approach you.
Here is a link to some of the wildlife images I captured this spring using the 100-400 and 1.4x: Waterfowl of Spring 2020
Good Luck,
Mark

1 Like

I’ve had a Sigma 150-600 contemporary (similar to your friend’s Tamron) with dock for 5 years and it is rock solid and reliable. I think your lens is an upgrade from that. At 600mm there is a slight fall off in sharpness, so mostly shooting at 500-550 max unless I want to to post processing sharpening. If you are using cropped sensor Canon effective focal length will increase by 1.6 over full frame. If you want a longer reach try a teleconverter, lots of reviews of them on B&H or Adorama.

Thank you so much Jared. I have so much to learn yet! I appreciate your help.