Need new Mac Computer

I have needed a new computer for over a year. I did nit want a 13 inch MBP so I have been using my iPad and a Mac Mini. My most demanding task is editing RAW images and every now and then a video. The new MBP all seem capable. There are just so many options. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Richard,

A couple of questions.

1. Do you prefer the 14" or 16" size?
  2. What budget would you like to stick to?

Let me know and I’ll give you a few options!

Forest

Thanks for the reply. I would like to stay around $2600 if possible. I have some pretty fast external drives I am using now for contract work and my Lightroom catalogs and libraries. So I can live with smaller SSD, just need to make sure I have enough RAM for Lightroom use. What I have seen on Youtube seems to show that 16g with the swap works great. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Screen size is my issue. Currently I use external monitors, they are wide consumer grade, and I do color calibration. What I cannot figure out is if it makes sense to get the 16" to use for editing in LR or would I just end up using my external? I guess it depends on how good the MBP screen is. I won’t have a lot of time in the store to figure this out I fear. I don’t edit in coffee shops etc, usually always at my desk. This is where I really could use some thoughts.

The screen on the 16" is fantastic. I would opt for the larger screen.

Also, 16GB of RAM is plenty although if you plan on keeping the laptop for a long time it might be a good idea to upgrade to 32GB of RAM for more “future proofing.”

Looking at Apple’s website, I would personally go with the base model 16" with the RAM upgraded to 32GB for a total cost of $2899. That would be a fantastic machine!