Point & Shoot - Maybe?

I moved to Missoula last summer and was really looking forward to Summer Intensive since it’s been on my bucket list for years. I am really bummed it was cancelled. With COVID and social distancing, I’ve been doing a lot of mountain biking (more than hiking) and taking in the beautiful scenery and magnificent wildflower displays. But I’m very hesitant to take my Canon 7D Mk II and lenses out on the bike - especially on the more technical trails. But sometimes those trails offer some of the best views. I’m thinking a nice point & shoot would give me better photos than my iPhone XR. I also have an old Canon Rebel T5i and the nifty fifty lens, but I’d prefer something that takes up less space and has a little zoom. Any suggestions???

Hi Cindy,

We were so bummed that SI was cancelled as well. Luckily it’s on schedule for 2021. With that said, I’m glad to hear that you’re getting outside and enjoying the Missoula trails.

Honestly at this point, the software processing inside of all modern smartphones beats most cheaper point and shoots. To get better quality, you will really want to invest in a smaller camera with a nice zoom range and a good big sensor to take in as much quality as possible.

Something like the Canon PowerShot G9 Mark II would be an excellent choice and will beat the quality of your iPhone in most situations.

Let me know if I can help in any other way! :+1:

That’s one I was considering. The sad thing is I sold a G16 just before moving last summer because I had it for several years and rarely used it. Always used my dslr.

1 Like

Hi Cindy, The Panasonic Lumix LX100 has been out for a while now and I haven’t researched P&S’s recently. Since you’re familiar with the G16, I’d recommend a comparison between these two.

I’ve been particularly happy with the larger sensor for control of depth of field and the reasonably low-light quality. I purchased this camera specifically for lighter weight options when traveling in the backcountry (mtn biking, hiking, b/c skiing, hunting, climbing, etc.) and I’ve even sold a few prints and licensed a few images from this camera.

Have fun, and good luck with your shopping!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check out this one too!

Hi. Likewise I was enrolled in 2020 Summer Intensive; I purchased a Canon G11 as a “pocket camera” years ago, then bought a Panasonic DMC-ZS100 as an upgrade a couple of years ago. The Canon despite less MP remains a superior camera: sturdy; flip out LCD screen, easy to access controls. The Panasonic is small and slippery - I have placed friction tape in strategic spots. Way too many buttons that can be accidentally pushed and too many controls. Sorry I bought it. G9 would be a better choice. I also have an original Canon Rebel (which I think doesn’t shoot RAW) with a 28-300 Tamron Lens which doesn’t have very good resolution. I’ve taken it out in the kayak cause if it gets wet I won’t be heart broken. If you could stand the Rebel you have in a backpack or put a rack on your bike, wrapped up in padding, you can get Canon EF-S 18-200 lens (I have one on my 50D IR camera, and other than lens creep and a broccoli size rubber band to fix it, it’s a nice lens) for around $130 used online.

My G16 took great photos. But my 7D Mk II takes better photos. So I rarely used the G16. My husband took it on a few trips. But he mostly used his phone.