Printer Suggestion

Greetings, I am looking for suggestions for a printer for my home studio. I have never printed from home, always sending out in the past. I would be thankful for any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you.

Richard

Hi Richard!

Great question. And exciting! In general, once you get above the level of “photo printers” you can purchase at stores like Costco and Target, you are in the realm of tech you can consider for great photo-quality prints. (Steer clear of “all-in-ones.”)

The most significant considerations you will need to weigh are the maximum size you want to be able to print, the price you’re willing to pay for the machine, and the price you’re willing to pay for ink.

Primarily, you’ll choose between print widths of 13" or 17" wide if you’re just getting started. OR if you have a super large budget and plan to print a WHOLE LOT, you could get up to 24", or even 48" wide with big roll printers.

In general, the more expensive the printer, the greater the number of ink tanks AND the more expensive each ink tank becomes. BUT the ink tanks are also a higher capacity with larger printers so they don’t need changing as often. It can even out when you’re in the low-to-mid range of printers, but it’s something to look at.

The lowest level printers I’d recommend for photo purposes are the Canon Pixma Pro-200 or the Epson SureColor P700. These both print outstanding 13" wide prints.

Next, I’d look at the Canon image PROGRAF PRO-1000 or the Epson SureColor P900 if you want to be able to print 17" wide. We use the Epson P800s (precursor to the 900s) at RMSP and they are amazing!

And if you want to go with an even more intense printer (I wouldn’t recommend starting with an enormous printer – they require a lot of care and maintenance), let me know when you get to SI and we can chat about what you might choose.

Happy printing! It’s a blast!

1 Like

I own a Canon Pro 10 and before that a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II. Both have been excellent printers. There’s nothing better than seeing your work printed out, and it’s more gratifying doing it yourself - especially when you print interesting/unique output (in my case printing to match the strange dimensions of IKEA picture frames or a diptych / triptych on one sheet of paper).

The one question you must ask yourself before selecting a printer is just how often do you plan to use it. If you don’t use a photo printer regularly, you can quite easily end up with a printer ink bill of over $100 just to print one print after not using the printer for a while (while your printer tries in vain to clean it’s print heads and uses up the cartridges until they’re dry)

The newer Canon’s and Epson printers with the larger reservoirs have reduced this cost, but I’ve seen a number of cases where the heads somehow get out of alignment. So if you get one of these expensive photo printers, I’d suggest you get a good warranty.

If you’re printing infrequently and intend to print a standard size, it’s much cheaper to send it out to a professional printer (such as White House Custom Color in Minnesota or Loxley here in Scotland).

You can have a visit on Airways Printing to get suggestions regarding the latest wireless printers and also printing related services.Hope this helps you. Thanks.

I have been printing with Epson printers for 15 years. The model I am using now is the P800 since I use 17" rolls. It is a superb printer. I also stick to Epson inks after experimenting with several other substitute brand on my previous machine which was the Epson 4900 (all 125Lbs of it!). Inks from Jon Cone (Inkjet Mall) may be the exception to this ‘rule’.