Seeking advice on options for the MacBook Pro 16

Hi there, I’m upgrading my very old MacBook Pro and about to purchase the newly released MacBook Pro 16. I’ve been weighing the pros and cons of the upgrade possibilities. It’s already an expensive machine and much more powerful than what I’m used to. I’d like to “future proof” it to some extent, but within reason, knowing that technology changes so quickly now, perhaps there’s no such thing as future proofing anymore?! It comes with 16gb RAM and 1T ssd storage. It’s possible to upgrade to 32 gb (what I’m leaning towards) or 64gb and also possible to upgrade all the way to 8T storage - I’m debating whether to get the 2T or keep it at 1T. Would appreciate any advice people have. I mainly will be using lightroom and photoshop; haven’t done much with video editing but will likely want to in the near future. I mainly use external hard drives for storage. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I have a 2015 MBP with 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD hard drive. It can get a little bogged down using Premiere, but overall it is still super fast and super reliable. I currently use about half of my hard drive; all of my photos are on external hard drives. If it were me, and I didn’t want to kill my bank account, I think I’d be beyond stoked on 32GB of RAM and 1TB of storage. Just my 2 cents :slightly_smiling_face:
Dan

1 Like

Thank you, Dan! Definitely keeping that bank account in mind, so it’s helpful to hear what you’re using.

This article was shared with me and proved to be super helpful for me when choosing which upgrades! - https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/22/the-best-gear-for-photo-and-video-editing/

thanks so much, Mary!