Wacom Intuos Pro (Medium)

I recently purchased the new 16" MacBook Pro and was considering using the Sidecar app to link my iPad to the MacBook Pro and then use an Apple Pencil to do fine editing in Lightroom CC and Photoshop.

In my research, I ran across an article which discussed the best methods to edit images in LR/PS which indicated the Wacom Intuos Pro is another, less expensive option.

If anyone has used the newer Intuos Pro and has any thoughts/recommendations, I’d appreciate the input. The reviews, both written and video, seem to indicate this might be the best avenue of approach. The added benefit is that I can use it on my 2014 27" iMac which isn’t compatible with Sidecar.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Kevin,

Wacom tablets are great and can speed up efficiency and detail work in PS.
However, I don’t recommend them to folks learning Photoshop simultaneously because there’s a bit of a learning curve in terms of the dexterity and kinesthetic aspects of working with one that almost always slows the learner down while also trying to wrap their head around PS. If you know PS pretty well, then definitely go for it! But if you are still learning PS and what the tools on the toolbar do, the Wacom adds another layer of complication to that effort. For those adept at PS, it is a really helpful, but not critical, tool. I have seen younger students (ones born with iPhones in their hands) use just the trackpad to do all selections, which is something I can’t do with accuracy. I prefer a mouse with a Wacom pen, and some folks try to use their trackpad and it becomes glaringly obvious they are struggling - for those I recommend a mouse and things get easier for them immediately. Just depends on where you are in your PS journey. Not sure it is that helpful with LR, but I’d be curious to see how people use a Wacom with LR.

1 Like

Jeff: Thank you so much! I recently watched a video tutorial where a photographer used one with LR after receiving it a day earlier. The main key was getting the setup right (he showed how to set it up on the video, but it’s up to the individual what function you assign the buttons and dial) and then committing those functions to muscle memory.

I assume if I’m able to get proficient with the tablet, I can bring it to class? If it creates an issue with my ability to keep up, I’ll simply unplug it and put it in my bag. I also appreciate your comment about using a mouse instead of just the MacBook track pad. I recently purchased a wireless mouse. I’ll be bringing that to class when we kick off on September 8th. I’m looking forward to it. And again, thank you.

Hi Kevin,
For sure, you’re welcome and feel free to work with it and bring it. You’ll know if it’s slowing you down or not. Everyone works with them a bit differently - for ex: I don’t use any of the buttons on mine because I keep one hand on my keyboard to activate the keys there and use shortcuts that only the keyboard will give me. But some users don’t need/use the shortcuts as much and just need the command/modifier keys so they can use the buttons on the device. They are very customizable to your exact needs.